The families involved in the McKay Venture are both saddened and embarrassed to find it necessary to defend our integrity to both the Stettler Independent and its readers and to the County of Stettler council and administration.
We contend that our request to the county was blatantly misrepresented by county council and this newspaper. Here are the facts:
(1) Our request was for forgiveness of “only” the municipal portion of tax costs.
(2) 2015 – We paid $10,300. in taxes on our “vacant, unsold” lots after being forgiven the municipal portion (we thank the county).
(3) Taxes at full rate would have been $38,506.17.
(4) At present five lots are sold and generating large tax income to the county – seven lots remain unsold.
(5) We pay our way, work hard to be a positive influence in town and county, have invested millions and ask little. The county has no investment.
(6) We find the irresponsible comments of council members offensive and plan major changes to our approach in the near future.
(7) Please note that the county has taken other developments under their wing, paid for completion of the development, taken mortgages against the costs and “most notably, forgiven the municipal taxes on their subsidized property” – Buffalo View Estates.
Please see online County of Stettler minutes of May 11 meeting – make your own judgement.
If you are interested in further details please call Greg or Jim at 403-742-2368.
Editor’s note:A reporter’s duty is to reflect the discussions as they happen in council meetings. We believe we have fulfilled that duty properly and we stand by the accuracy of our report.