“Cliff” Richard Clifford JONES

"Cliff" Richard Clifford JONES


“Cliff” Richard Clifford

“Cliff” Richard Clifford Jones was born on January 11, 1927 at Byemoor, Alberta, and quietly passed away on May 16, 2014 at the age of 87 at the Stettler Hospital, in Stettler, Alberta.

Cliff was predeceased by his loving wife Muriel, son Timmy, parents John and Harriet, all of his siblings; Ada, Frank, Arthur, Eric, Gertrude, John, George, Difan, and Verne, as well as all but one of their spouses; his in-laws, numerous nieces, nephews and countless friends.

He is survived by his children Joyce (Dwayne) Oberg, Chrystine (Lyle) Nordstrom, Barry Jones, Shirley Jones (Scott). Grandchildren Nelson (Callista) Oberg, Aaron (Kimberly) Oberg, Jennifer (Nathan) Friesen, Louis (Leigh-Ann) Nordstrom, Kayla Nordstrom, Stephanie Jones (Austin), Lindsey Jones, Seanna Jones, Carly Jones, Danielle Hogg, Mark Hogg, Kendra Hogg, Booker Hogg and two great grandchildren Ryan Boyes, Grayson Friesen.

Cliff was the seventh of ten children born to John and Harriet Jones. His parents along with several siblings immigrated to Canada from Wales in 1925. They came to the Gadsby area and stayed there for a year after which they moved to the Byemoor area where they purchased the homestead that was the family farm for many years. It was here that the younger children were born including Cliff. The house, which started out as quite meagre but grew to accommodate the 10 children, was a combination of two different houses. The barn was moved onto the property in the fall of 1952 where it still stands today. Together they worked the land and raised plenty of livestock to sustain the family. They also grew a large garden and all the children were expected to work on the farm. Cliff attended Hartlake School and then eventually Byemoor School.

While on the farm he met and married Muriel Bozak, a young teacher at the Byemoor School. They were married on October 29, 1958 in Stettler, Alberta. She was a city girl who adjusted to the farm life very quickly while they started their family. One of the things Cliff enjoyed was being a member of the E.L.K.S. helping with the many and varied functions the group put on. A favourite of his was the picnic which was always put on in early summer.

In the winter Cliff worked with his brother George doing carpentry. In the 1970’s Cliff took quite ill and spent many weeks in the hospital due to mercury poisoning. The Doctor told him to get rid of the farm and look for another line of work.

In 1974 the family farm was sold and Cliff moved his family to Galahad purchasing a 1/4 section of land there. He worked at the Diplomat Mine for a couple of years while still working with his brother George until George’s passing. He continued to do carpentry helping with small and big projects alike. Farming was still his first love so he bought a tractor and cultivator and would work the 1/4 section that he lived on. He loved to bring in the crop and worked with local farmers Robert Ponto and Goose Coulee Farms during the harvest. When he was no longer able to work the farm he would ask about it, keeping up with trends and such.

Cliff and Muriel took on maintenance jobs at Big Knife Park where they cut grass, cleaned toilets, kept a supply of wood, returned tables and other amenities to their rightful place. At one point while moving a table Cliff discovered blood and broken glass. The discovery lead to a murder investigation in which Cliff was finger printed and asked to appear in court to testify as to what he found, putting a murderer in jail. Muriel took on cleaning at the Galahad Hotel and Cliff would help her with that as well.

In June of 1991 Muriel passed away. Cliff lived on the 1/4 section for several more years, being semi-retired, after which he sold the land but remained living there for a few more years. He then moved to a senior’s complex in Daysland and lived there for several years, finally moving into Heart Haven Lodge in Stettler. That made him very happy as he was near Barry and was around people he knew in his younger days. He enjoyed living there as he could play cards all the time. He was an excellent card player who loved Solitaire and Crib and would win trophies at Crib tournaments. Any other card game was played with just as much gusto.

Funeral services for Richard Clifford Jones were held at the Galahad Community Hall, Galahad, Alberta at 2:00 P.M. on Wednesday, May 21, 2014. A reception and fellowship followed the service. Internment took place next to his beloved wife Muriel Jones at the Galahad Cemetery.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Galahad Cemetery fund or charity of one’s choice in care of Brennen Funeral Home and Cremation Services P.O. Box 193 Stettler, Alberta TOC 2LO who have been entrusted with the care and funeral arrangements. 403.742.3315. Condolences can be forwarded to the family by visiting our website at www.brennenfuneralhome.com

Cliff’s loving family would like to thank everyone for their kindness and offers of help. Also thanks to Heart Haven Lodge Staff, the Stettler Hospital for the wonderful care, and to Brennen Funeral Home for the prompt and thoughtful care. Thanks to Pastor Ross Helgeton for officiating the service.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.