(File photo)

Village of Donalda seeks early termination of fire agreement

Council has requested a meeting be set up between two councils

The Village of Donalda is seeking an early exit from its fire service agreement with the County of Stettler.

In a letter dated Feb. 8, chief administrative officer for the village Kristie Vallet submitted the written request to County of Stettler council.

The 2011 fire service agreement between the village and the county stipulates that two years written notice must be given to exit the agreement, which was served to the county on Dec. 8, 2021.

The December 2021 notice provided an exit date of Dec. 31, 2023, however in the correspondence of Feb. 8, the village is requesting that the exit be moved up to Dec. 31, 2022, a move met with mixed emotion by Stettler council and administration.

“I feel quite strongly we should talk to them and either bring them back or help them with the transition,” said chief administrative officer Yvette Cassidy.

“They are our neighbours and our partners.”

Coun. Les Stulberg agreed with Cassidy’s sentiment.

“I think we need a discussion so both sides understand the implications and costs before we go to the next step of that,” said Coun. Les Stulberg.

“We need to know what the issues are so we can correct it.”

Colleague Coun. James Nibourg meanwhile felt differently.

“If their decision has been made, I honour their decision,” said Coun. James Nibourg.

“I’m not going to coerce their decision in any way, shape or form.”

Reeve Larry Clarke agreed that a meeting needed to be held.

“We’ve got a problem we’ve got to get resolved. We’ve got to get answers on it,” said Clarke.

Administration was directed in a motion by Coun. Stulberg to set up a meeting with the Village of Donalda in mid-April to discuss the Stettler Regional Fire Service and their involvement.

April was selected as administration felt it needed the extra time to get accurate costing together for the village, something they have been requesting for some time, if they should chose to remain after the meeting.

Coun. Nibourg did note that the County of Stettler could request the meeting, but it was up to the village if they wanted to accept it.

Local NewsNews