Trial date set for Stettler man

  • Mar. 30, 2011 8:00 p.m.

JULIE BERTRAND / Independent reporter

Stephen McKnight of Stettler pled not guilty to one count of assault, one count of assault causing bodily harm and four counts of assault – resisting arrest. McKnight was arrested on Jan 1, 2011 when the RCMP responded to a residence, in which a disturbance was taking place. He appeared via CCTV from the Red Deer Remand Centre. Bail was denied at a previous hearing and McKnight has to remain in jail. His trial is scheduled for Aug. 11, 2011 at 1:30 p.m. in Stettler.

Timothy Alexander of Medicine Hat was handed down a fine of $2,500 and suspension from driving for a full year following a guilty plea to one count of impaired driving, two counts of failing to appear in court and one count of failing to appear at his trial. In February 2010, Alexander failed the Breathalyzer test when pulled over by RCMP after witnessing suspicious driving. His first blood alcohol level result was 0.1 and his second result was 0.09, both above the allowed 0.08 percent of alcohol level in blood. Judge W.A. Andreassen gave him a fine of $2,500. Alexander is also prohibited from driving for 12 months.

John Paul Benjamin of Stettler pled guilty to one count of obstructing/resisting a peace officer in the execution of his duty. The crown prosecutor withdrew the four other charges. On Feb. 17, 2011, the RCMP pulled Benjamin over in Stettler because they could not read his car’s license plate. Benjamin handed the officer his driver’s license and was advised to wait while the officer walked back to his cruiser to check the information. Benjamin fled the scene on foot. The RCMP pursued him and told him numerous times to stop, before eventually losing track of him. Benjamin turned himself in later that night. Judge Andreassen gave him a fine of $700.

Justin Walker of Stettler was fined $115 after pleading guilty to one count of failing to attend court. He was previously arrested for illegal consumption of alcohol.

Meanwhile, the young Bashaw mother facing charges of attempted murder after allegedly setting fire to her house has had her trial delayed once again due to missing documentation in her file. The new date for her trial is set for April 14.