CASTOR — The tight-knit community of Castor is reeling after a house fire Sunday left three people unaccounted for at a farm owned by Sandi and Gordon Klaus.
Residents expressed horror, disbelief and regret about the fire that broke out Sunday — and the potentially devastating aftermath.
“It was a shock,” said Belinda Yates, who has worked with Sandi at the hospital.
“She worked in housekeeping and I talked to her the odd time in passing. She was a very nice lady.”
Likewise, Kylie Burnett said, “It was really tragic to hear.”
Residents described the family as close, always together, and nice people.
“They were friendly,” said Erma Marquart.
The entrance to the long driveway leading to the residence was cordoned off by RCMP and Calgary Major Crimes and the provincial fire investigator converged on the farmyard, on Range Road 132, late Tuesday morning.
Sgt. Josee Valiquette of RCMP K Division said Tuesday afternoon that because of the condition of the structure and the debris, it was still unsafe for their investigators to access the burning structure.
Sgt. Valiquette confirmed three people connected to the residence were unaccounted for, but said police won’t release their identity.
The farm is owned by Sandi and Gordon Klaus, and their middle-aged daughter Monica was visiting for the weekend.
Jason Klaus, the couple’s son, told the Red Deer Advocate that his family was “very close” and that his parents would do anything for anyone.
“I lost everybody,” he said Monday. “I lost everything.”
Police say that between 7:30 and 8 a.m. Sunday, Coronation RCMP were called to assist Castor and Coronation fire departments to a home fully engulfed in flames.