On Friday, Sept 17, around 9:30 a.m., Donalda and Stettler fire crews were dispatched to an electrical hazardous material call west of the Village of Donalda. No one was near or in contact with the downed power lines and electrical crews arrived shortly after to fix the hazard.
Around 8 p.m. on the same day, Stettler Fire Rescue teams responded to a house fire in the village of Botha. A total of five fire trucks from Stettler responded. It took fire crews approximately half an hour to get the fire under control. There were no occupants in the house at the time of the fire, and although fire teams were able to save surrounding structures, the house itself received considerable smoke and fire damage. This fire is still under investigation.
Fire Prevention Week 2010 will be observed from Oct. 3 through to Oct. 9. The theme for this year is – “Smoke Alarms: A Sound You Can Live With”.
Stettler Regional Fire Rescue would like to remind the public to check the batteries in their smoke detectors once a month and change the batteries once a year. It’s a simple measure that can be taken to prevent a fire from occurring in their home.
Also during Fire Prevention Week, SRFR is doing its annual food drive along with the Stettler Food Bank and Atco Electric.