A Quebec flag with the word “Open” written on it is shown in remembrance of six victims of a shooting at mosque during a vigil in Quebec City on January 30, 2017. Events are being held Wednesday in Quebec City to mark the third anniversary of the deadly mosque shooting that claimed six lives. Organizers from the citizens group “We remember January 29” said the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre where the killings occurred will open its doors to the community this afternoon, with a dinner and speeches later at an area church. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

Solemn events to mark third anniversary of deadly Quebec City mosque shooting

Alexandre Bissonnette pleaded guilty to the killings and was sentenced to life in prison without parole for 40 years

Events are being held Wednesday in Quebec City to mark the third anniversary of the deadly mosque shooting that claimed six lives.

Organizers from the citizens group “We remember January 29” said the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre where the killings occurred will open its doors to the community this afternoon, with a dinner and speeches later at an area church.

The group organizing the events is urging Quebec City residents to participate in large numbers — calling the grim occasion a chance to come together and affirm a desire to build an open and inclusive community.

The mosque shooting left six men dead: Mamadou Tanou Barry, 42, Abdelkrim Hassane, 41, Khaled Belkacemi, 60, Aboubaker Thabti, 44, Azzeddine Soufiane, 57, and Ibrahima Barry, 39.

They left behind their wives and 17 children between them, while several others were injured when the gunman opened fire inside the mosque in the provincial capital’s Ste-Foy district.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged the anniversary by calling on Canadians to honour the memory of the victims by fighting Islamophobia and other forms of hatred and discrimination.

“Today, we mourn those who were senselessly killed, and suffered at the hands of ignorance, Islamophobia, and racism,” Trudeau said in a statement. “We share the pain of their children, spouses, friends, and neighbours, who were robbed of their loved ones far too soon. Our thoughts are also with those injured, whose lives forever changed after this brutal and inhumane attack.”

Boufeldja Benabdallah, president of the mosque, said in a recent interview the local Muslim community has seen many “highs and lows” in the three years since the shooting, but overall things have improved.

He noted that people have resumed their lives and returned to work, finding some serenity.

But while the community has moved forward with announcements like the creation of the region’s first Islamic cemetery and a million-dollar renovation to enlarge and secure the mosque, he said the province’s controversial secularism law casts a cloud.

The law, known as Bill 21, bans some civil servants from wearing religious symbols at work — something Benabdallah said targets Muslims in particular.

“Once again, we feel in the minority and targeted, especially the Muslim woman who finds herself penalized,” Benabdallah said, calling the legislation a significant setback.

Premier Francois Legault, whose government introduced Bill 21, and Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume are scheduled to attend the community dinner.

Last year, the commemoration was held at Universite Laval, while in 2018, there were four days of activities culminating in an outdoor gathering attended by hundreds, including leaders of all federal and provincial parties.

Alexandre Bissonnette pleaded guilty to the killings and last year was sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole for 40 years — a sentence that was the subject of appeals by both the Crown and defence during a hearing at the Quebec Court of Appeal Monday.

READ MORE: Quebec Court of Appeal to hear Alexandre Bissonnette appeals

The Canadian Press


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Quebec

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Stettler’s Lillian Kirtley lands the top prize in the STARS Lottery!

Kirtley and her husband Bill have 2.8 million reasons to smile

Stettler Emergency Services personnel will be doing an ‘appreciation parade’

Event is to show appreciation to both front line and essential workers in Stettler

Red Deer’s Troubled Monk making hand sanitizers amid COVID-19

Breweries all over the world are taking initiative to develop hand sanitizer

A statement from Deputy Commissioner Curtis Zablocki, commanding officer of the Alberta RCMP

‘It is our hope that Albertans can see how very important it is to follow all health orders issued and will choose to do so willingly’

A Message From the Publisher – ‘We will do our best, but without local advertising revenue, The Stettler Independent cannot survive’

‘We will do our best, but without local advertising revenue, The Stettler Independent cannot survive’

‘It’s like ghost towns:’ Canada’s border communities adapt to COVID-19 changes

‘It’s like ghost towns:’ Canada’s border communities adapt to COVID-19 changes

Canadian cruisers begin leaving Coral Princess in Florida amid COVID-19 outbreak

Canadian cruisers begin leaving Coral Princess in Florida amid COVID-19 outbreak

Application process for emergency benefits for workers begins this morning

Application process for emergency benefits for workers begins this morning

A message from Central Alberta Co-op

Please remember to practice social distancing at all our locations.

U.S. emerging as common denominator in world’s struggle to secure medical gear

U.S. emerging as common denominator in world’s struggle to secure medical gear

Non-medical masks can keep people with COVID-19 from spreading it, Tam says

Non-medical masks can keep people with COVID-19 from spreading it, Tam says

What to know about malaria drug and coronavirus treatment

Four small and very preliminary studies give conflicting results

Canadians can still expect weeks or months of distancing measures, Trudeau says

Canadians can still expect weeks or months of distancing measures, Trudeau says

Most Read