Scenic trail ride raises funds for STARS air ambulance

Battle River Ride for STARS hopes to reach this year’s goal

By Jessica Jones

For the Independent

Last year, STARS air ambulance reported flying 13 missions to Stettler alone, making the Battle River Ride for STARS a necessity, organizers say.

In its 11th year, the annual Battle River Ride for STARS is a horse trail ride event on July 13th, which raises funds vital for the STARS funding model.

“I always say that STARS is an unwanted necessity,” said Henry Thomas, president of the Battle River Ride for STARS.

“You don’t want to have to use STARS but if you ever needed it, they are going to be there; that is why I think this is so important,” he said.

The Battle River Ride for STARS is a 14-mile, easy to moderate, five-hour trail ride made up of 120 to 130 horse riders who collect pledges for STARS.

The scenic trail, on private land, follows rolling hills along the Battle River, eight miles west of Brownfield — a hamlet about an hour east of Settler.

“It is an absolutely incredible view,” said STARS Development Officer of Events, Sheyanne Crouse, who is in her second year working with the Battle River Ride for STARS.

“I was blown away by how gorgeous it was last year and I’m excited to be a part of the ride this year.

“It’s events like these that make a difference for patients, families, friends and their communities that are affected.

“Because of events like the Battle River Ride for STARS, we get to be there for the next patient,” Crouse said.

Between April 1st, 2018 to March 3rd, 2019, the STARS’ reporting year, Crouse said there were 13 missions to Stettler. An average flight, she says, costs $5,400 per patient.

“That is $70,000 in Stettler alone,” she said.

“And because of our unique funding model in Alberta, a patient doesn’t ever have to pay,” Crouse said, further noting that Alberta Health Services funds 20 per cent, while events, sales, and fundraisers fund the other 80 per cent.

The Battle River Trail Ride is $45 per rider and features a hot supper, door prizes and silent auction. The rider fee is waived if pledges of over $75 are received.

Camping on site is available should the rider wish to spend the night.

Those interested taking part in the ride should register before July 1st.

This year Thomas hopes the event reaches its goal of raising $30,000 for STARS.

“The closest to reaching that goal was four years ago when we raised close to $27,000,” he said.

For more information, or to register for the Ride, contact the Battle River Ride for STARS through email at brrfs@gmx.com or by calling 403-741-5092.

Just Posted

‘Alberta Long Ears’ in Stettler Aug. 10th-11th.

Established in 1989, the Alberta Donkey & Mule Club is an offshoot of the national organization

Communities in Bloom judges check out Stettler’s finest features

National and International results will be announced in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia in September

Buccaneers pillage Irish 36-0

Central Alberta bounces back after off week against Wolfpack

Alberta Prairie Railways marks 30 unforgettable in the biz

Tickets purchased this year go to a special ‘luxury’ train ride for 30 guests

Ethel Williams gifted a donation for the Community Recreation Track resurfacing

The running track in Stettler is a legacy from the 1991 Alberta Summer Games

VIDEO: Bystander training gains traction as tool to prevent sexual harassment, violence

Julia Gartley was sexually assaulted after an event, and no one stepped in to help

Sexual assaults, extortion on the rise even as crime rates stay low: Stats Canada

Rates of police-reported sexual assault rose for the fourth year in a row

A year later, ceremony commemorates victims of the Danforth shooting

It’s the one-year anniversary of when a man opened fire along the bustling street before shooting and killing himself

Ottawa fights planned class action against RCMP for bullying, intimidation

The current case is more general, applying to employees, including men, who worked for the RCMP

Alberta judge denies B.C.’s bid to block ‘Turn Off the Taps’ bill

He said the proper venue for the disagreement is Federal Court

Buccaneers pillage Irish 36-0

Central Alberta bounces back after off week against Wolfpack

Sexual harassment complaints soaring amid ‘frat boy culture’ in Canada’s airline industry

‘It’s a #MeToo dumpster fire…and it’s exhausting for survivors’

How much do you know about the moon?

To mark the 50th anniversary of the first lunar landing, see how well you know space

Most Read