With only $175,000 available for grants for recreation and community facilities from the County of Stettler, both the council and recreation board have the challenge to review 13 requests for a total of $257,892.
At its regular meeting Jan. 12, county council directed the recreation board to further review the application and present a recommendation for $175,000 to council at council’s next meeting set for Feb. 9.
After council reviewed the list of rated and ranked requests with recreation director Phil Holton, several councillors suggested that requests be approved on merits for projects that serve a wide area, considering that many requests are for similar-type facilities located just a few kilometers apart or facilities rarely used.
“We should look at the whole county picture,” said Councillor Joe Gendre.
“Close and similar facilities need to amalgamate, such as arenas.”
While some applications asked for full funding, others requested part of the costs.
“I don’t want to see this turn into a sustainability fund,” said Councillor Greggory Jackson, who serves on the board.
“I don’t want to see us support a project if nobody else supports them.”
For council to consider funds for a project, groups should do their share to raise funds and build the volunteer base, he said.
Requests ranged from $5,683 for chairs for a community hall to $41,754 to replace furnaces, hot water tanks and flooring in another community hall.
The recreation board was directed to review the full list of requests that include:
• West Sullivan Lake Agricultural Society to replace furnaces, hot water tanks and flooring in the community hall.
• Big Valley Jubilee Hall for improvements.
• Erskine Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall for improvements.
• Linda Hall for a playground.
• Botha Centennial committee for a scale model of Underwood flying machine.
• Erskine Curling Club for furnace, heaters, flooring and ceiling tiles for curling rink.
• Donalda and District Agricultural Society for outdoor/indoor arena improvements.
• Byemoor Community Club to replace oven at community hall.
• Botha Community Centre for storage facility for ice resurfacer.
• Gadsby Hall for new chairs.
• Pilot Knob for new roofing, windows and eaves troughs on community hall.
• Gadsby Ball Association for parking lot and landscaping.
• Stettler and District Agricultural Society for new chairs for Agriplex.