Potable water extends to country residents

  • Aug. 12, 2009 7:00 a.m.

Richard Froese

Independent reporter

Healthy drinking water is being extended to residents of the County of Stettler, with community forums set for several locations this month.

Plans for the project and the County of Stettler Rural Water Servicing Strategy will be presented at open house sessions on Aug. 17 in Botha, Aug. 18 in Byemoor, Aug. 19 in Big Valley, Aug. 20 in Donalda and Aug. 22 at Nevis, all from 6 to 8 p.m.

“County of Stettler has developed a Rural Waster Servicing Master Plan with the goal of providing all landowners the opportunity to receive a safe, assured supply of potable water for household use,” states a letter from the county to residents.

“There are immediate construction opportunities for the fall of 2009 in Byemoor, Endiang and the area of the country adjacent to the Shirley McClellan water line.”

Residents and property owners also have opportunity to express their intent to connect to the system by completing a survey and filing it to the county by Sept. 15.

“Council knows water is critical not only to every farm, but is vital to the well-being and long-term sustainability of the county, hamlets and villages,” said Reeve Earl Marshall

“Even in areas where there is adequate well water, there are still risks of contamination, diminished quality and reduced supply.”

County council, together with Drumheller-Stettler MLA and Infrastructure Minister Jack Hayden and Crowfoot MP Kevin Sorenson have secured grants from the Building Canada Fund in the amount of $6 million to allow the construction of phase one of the project this fall.

This funding, coupled with the current investments in the Starland-Stettler an Shirley McClellan regional water systems, enables the county to move forward with the Rural Water Servicing Master Plan,” said Marshall.

“By leveraging these opportunities, the county, is able to assure water supply to landowners and create opportunities for growth within our county as a reasonable cost.”

For more information, phone the county at 403-742-4441 or your local councilor.