County of Stettler has named Wayne Nixon as the new reeve as the new council held its organizational meeting Oct. 25.
“I look forward to working with this council,” said Reeve Nixon who was the only councilor elected by acclamation and represents the Donalda – Red Willow ward,
“I am happy with the group we have and it’s very workable,” said the new reeve who succeeded Earl Marshall who was unseated in the municipal elections Oct.18 as Councillor James Nibourg won the seat for Erskine – South Warden.
Appointments were made for many committees and boards for all members of council that also includes Erskine – Buffalo Lake Councillor Joe Gendre.Councillor Blake Chapman for Stettler ward, Councillor Lawrence Wilkie for Byemoor-Endiang, Greggory Jackson, Councillor Terry Schiffner for Big Valley.
Role of deputy reeve will be served for six-month terms starting with Gendre (October 2010 to April 2011), and followed by Chapman (May to October 2011), Jackson (November 2011 to April 2012), Nibourg (May to October 2012), Schiffner (November 2012 to April 2013) and Wilkie (May to October 2013).
Here’s a rundown of committee appointments:
• Agricultural Service Board – all council chaired by Gendre with Jackson as vice.
• Municipal Planning Commission – all council with Chapman chair and Nibourg as vice.
• Assessment Review Board – Gendre, Jackson, Nibourg and Wilkie.
• Agricultural and Food Council of Alberta – Gendre (Chapman).
• Battle River Research Group – Jackson (Nibourg).
• Battle River Watershed Alliance – Nixon (Chapman).
• BioGas project – all council.
• Buffalo Lake Inter-municipal Development Plan steering committee – Gendre.(Nixon).
• Buffalo Lake Management Team – Gendre.(Nibourg).
• Canadian Badlands Ltd. – Wilkie.
• Central Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties – Nixon (Gendre).
• Central Alberta Economic Partnership – Chapman (Gendre).
• Disaster services committee – Nibourg, Jackson, Schiffner, Wilkie.
• Economic development – Chapman, Nibourg, Gendre.
• Health and safety committee – Jackson (Nibourg).
• County of Stettler Housing Authority – Chapman (Nibourg).
• Town-County Fire Commission – Schiffner and Jackson ((Wilkie).
• Parkland Regional Library board – Schiffner (Gendre).
• Physician recruitment and retention committee – Chapman and Jackson.
• Bashaw RCMP Community Consultative Group – Nixon.
• Regional recreation – Jackson and Wilkie.
• Red Deer River Municipal Users Group – Gendre.
• Red Deer River Watershed Alliance – Gendre.
• Regional partnerships committee – Nixon.
• Shirley McClellan Regional Water Services Commission – Nixon (Gendre).
• Starland/Stettler Regional Water Services Commission – Wilkie and Schiffner.
• Stettler Airport board – Nibourg (Chapman).
• Stettler District Agricultural Society – Chapman (Nibourg).
• Stettler District Ambulance Service – Chapman and Wilkie (Jackson).
• Stettler and District Family and Community Support Services – Gendre and Chapman (Jackson).
• Stettler Community Advisory Board – Nibourg (Schiffner).
• Stettler Health Services Foundation – Jackson (Chapman).
• Stettler Public Library board – members at large (until October 2013).
• Stettler Recreation Centre facility committee – Jackson (Nibourg).
• Stettler Seed Cleaning Plant – Schiffner (Wilkie).
• Stettler Town and Country Museum – Nibourg (Nixon).
• Stettler Waste Management Authority – Gendre and Nibourg (Jackson).
• Town of County of Stettler Inter-municipal Development Plan – all council.
• Annexation for Rochon Sands – all council.
Per diems for meetings remained at $200 per day and $150 per half day while council added $250 for sessions over eight hours and up to 12 hours in one day.
The reeve will continue to receive normal rates plus $600 while the deputy reeve will get $200 per month.