Standing majestically even after so many decades, the stone structure of Lyncot School refuses to crumble, maintained by a group of committed ladies who constitute the Lyncot Ladies’ Society.
Headed by president Doreen Hiller, the society has a few members, with vice-president Fran McAdam, Brenda Wintringham being the secretary and Lil Lee being the treasurer.
“We will be celebrating 100 years since the stone schoolhouse was built,” said Hiller. “June was chosen to be the month for a reunion as we are hoping to reach former students and area residents before summer holidays begin, and plans for holidays are made.”
Lyncot School District was established on May 9, 1916 according to records provided in the Red Willow history book.
A small building, located on what was known as the Basford place, later known as Ed Knott’s farm, was used as a school during part of 1916. Mrs. Gladys (Campbell) Judd was the teacher. This school was moved to the location of the new stone school and used as a barn for some years.
According to the records, the new school was built of local field stone, with walls two feet thick. Mr. George Footer, the contractor, hired a mason whose skill resulted in precision-cut, colour-matched rocks.
The fact that this beautiful unique building still endures in its original condition after so many decades, testifies to the skill of this craftsman.
The school was built on a high hill and there was no well, so water had to be brought in cream cans every day.
The building was heated by a Waterbury furnace, which caused many problems, as it would explode as often as not, showering ashes into the faces of pupils who had gathered around to thaw out. At other times, it simply refused to supply enough heat when it was most needed.
Fortunately, wood supplied by Mr. Knott and his sons were a lifesaver when the temperature dropped to 40 degrees below zero.
“We just want to make sure that all those who have been associated with the school in some way can make it to this centennial reunion,” Hiller added. “We are trying to reach as many former residents as we can.”
There will be cake and coffee served to all guests at the reunion on Saturday, June 24 from 2 to 5 p.m.