A total fire ban was issued on March 30 by the County of Stettler after Stettler and Big Valley Fire and Rescue teams were called out to a large, 20-30 acre grass fire west of Big Valley.
The fire was extinguished but only after the very dry conditions caused the fire to spread rapidly, according to the information provided by the county in a statement regarding the ban.
Stettler Regional Fire and Rescue responded to another, smaller grass fire the following day south of Gadsby, which was was also extinguished quickly.
“Citizens are reminded that a TOTAL fire ban is in effect for all of the County of Stettler and municipalities within its boundaries,” the statement said.
According to the statement , the ban:
-PROHIBITS the issuance of fire permits by County of Stettler Fire Guardians;
– SUSPENDS all outstanding fire permits issued under the Forest and Prairie Protection Act;
– REQUIRES that all outdoor fires presently burning, whether set under the authority of a fire permit or not, be extinguished immediately;
– INCLUDES open fires, camp fires, fires used for cooking, burning barrels, chimeneas, propane fire pits and the discharge of all fireworks.
The statement said the ban would not cover fires which are contained in cooking appliances which are fuelled by liquid fuel (propane, natural gas) – i.e. barbecues, Coleman stoves; and internal household fire places with approved spark arrester; and fires contained in industrial facilities or on industrial sites approved by the Fire Chief’s office.
Burnable material will not be accepted at waste transfer stations in the County of Stettler during this ban, the statement said.
“A person who sets a fire not allowed under this ban will be responsible for the costs of extinguishing the fire pursuant to the County of Stettler Policy AD 5.2 and may be charged under the Forest and Prairie Protection Act.”