F1 driver files police complaint against Montreal woman

Kimi Raikkonen is alleging extortion and harassment by a woman who claims he grabbed her breast

F1 star Kimi Raikkonen has filed a complaint with Montreal police alleging extortion and harassment by a woman who claims he grabbed her breast at a bar during Grand Prix weekend in 2016.

The allegations against the Ferrari driver are detailed in a blog item by the Montreal woman, who doesn’t name Raikkonen explicitly in the post.

RELATED: Afghan vet alleges sexual misconduct against NDP MP Christine Moore

The alleged victim, who was working as a waitress, accuses him of grabbing her breast and a member of his entourage of touching her genitals as she tried to get them to settle a bar tab.

A member of the F1 pilot’s legal team who did not want to be named told The Canadian Press on Tuesday that Raikkonen denies the allegations and claims to not know the woman or have touched her.

But a lawyer for the woman says her client is devastated and feels side-swiped and shocked by the Finnish driver’s legal manoeuvre.

“Our position is pretty simple,” said lawyer Jamie Benizri of Legal Logik, the firm representing the woman. ”Faced with allegations of this nature, we’re obviously shocked, disturbed that this would be the response.”

Benizri wouldn’t disclose the woman’s age or the amount of money being sought, but the representative of Raikkonen’s legal team described it as extremely high.

The woman’s lawyer also wouldn’t comment on the public blog posts that outline the allegations.

RELATED: NDP MP Erin Weir ousted amid harassment allegations

But he pushed back against the allegation of blackmail, saying it was “a little more graceful than an offer to settle for cash.”

“What we were looking for was an opportunity to sit down, what we were looking for was an opportunity to come to terms with what had happened to my client,” Benizri said.

“Unfortunately, that was completely misconstrued and I think they jumped the gun to defend themselves or potentially thwart an imminent action.”

Benizri said his client will collaborate with investigators and provide her version of events to police.

He said no motions have been filed in court and adds that no course of action has been ruled out.

Raikkonen’s representative claimed the demands in April and earlier this month were “aggressive” with a threat to go public.

The complaint against the Montreal resident with police was filed Monday on behalf of Raikkonen, who is being represented by a Montreal law firm.

City police said they would not comment.

Raikkonen, 38, is competing in the F1 Canadian Grand Prix Montreal on June 10.

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Former Stettler resident holding Christmas blues concert

Hank Leonhardt to perform at Stettler Performing Arts Centre

All signs suggest crime is down in Stettler

Stettler an engaged community says CAO Switenky

Lightning face league leader Airdrie on winning high

Sparks flew when Lightning and Thunder met

Understanding your credit score

Many things can make or break your score

VIDEO: E. coli outbreak linked to romaine lettuce sickens 18 people in Ontario, Quebec

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says it’s working with U.S. authorities to determine the source of the romaine lettuce those who got ill were exposed to.

Feds give formal notice for law to end Canada Post strike

Trudeau government ready to legislate employees back to work after five weeks of rotating strikes

‘Bait and switch’ warning ahead of Black Friday and Cyber Monday

Competition Bureau of Canada is warning shoppers of illegal sale tactics

$90,000 pen from space created by B.C man

The Space pen is made from a meteorite

B.C. woman fined $2,300 for clocking 215 km/hr

It’s the highest fine Alberta police have issued

South Korean named Interpol president in blow to Russia

South Korea’s Kim Jong Yang was elected as Interpol’s president edging out a longtime veteran of Russia’s security services.

Trump defies calls to punish crown prince for writer’s death

The U.S. earlier sanctioned 17 Saudi officials suspected of being responsible for or complicit in the Oct. 2 killing, but members of Congress have called for harsher actions, including cancelling arms sales.

British, EU leaders to meet as Brexit deadline looms

The U.K. and the European Union agreed last week on a 585-page document sealing the terms of Britain’s departure.

Richard Oland was killed ‘in a rage,’ prosecutor tells son’s murder trial

The verdict from Oland’s 2015 murder trial was set aside on appeal in 2016. Richard Oland, 69, was found dead in his Saint John office on July 7, 2011.

Most Read