Residents working to manage pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes are invited to attend free Alberta Health Services (AHS) information sessions online.
Diabetes the Basics is offered as a four-part group session led by AHS professionals who share their expertise, provide information and encourage discussions that can help participants better manage their condition.
The session is offered to people at risk of developing diabetes, as well as those who have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes or Type 2 diabetes.
The information session is an online version of AHS’ Diabetes the Basics workshops, which are offered regularly in communities across Central Zone. The classes are offered online in order to follow public health guidelines on physical distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Diabetes The Basics will be held via Zoom on the following dates:
– March 2nd, 9th, 16th and 23rd from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
– March 18th, 25th, April 1st and 8th from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
Participants will learn about:
– What diabetes is.
– Foods that affect blood sugar.
– Blood glucose monitoring and control.
– Medications for diabetes.
– What to do during an illness.
– How physical activity affects blood sugar.
– The importance of foot care.
For more information and to register, please call the Alberta Healthy Living Program at 1-877-314-6997. You will receive your Zoom link when you register.