Almost $175,000 of funding was announced for recreation facilities in the County of Stettler under various groups and projects.
Grants totaling $174,696 under the recreation special project funding program were approved by council Jan. 13 and announced during the annual community service awards night Jan. 15.
“It was one of our toughest years to select because we received applications totaling over $600,000,” said Councillor Les Stulberg, who is a member of the committee, and shared the good news during the event at Linda Hall on behalf of the board and county.
After reviewing the applications, the recreation board approved funding to:
• Donalda Agricultural Society – $30,000 for outdoor arena complete with lighting.
• Botha Community Club – $26,500 for arena roof, puck board and appliances.
• West Sullivan Lake Agricultural Society – $25,000 for floor coverings and mezzanine flooring.
• Gadsby Ball Association – $20,000 for playground.
• Erskine Hall – $20,000 for new entry door and washrooms.
• Erskine Curling Club – $15,500 for kitchen renovations.
• Big Valley Agricultural Society – $15,000 for building upkeep.
• Byemoor Parks and Recreation Association – $11,912.50 for washrooms.
• Endiang Roping and Riding Club – $7,000 for garage package.
• Linda Hall – $3,783.50 for steps and handicapped ramp and tarps.
Each year, $175,000 is made available to recreation groups in the county to build or enhance recreation facilities and or programs to maintain viable recreation options in rural areas
After reviewing the applications, the recreation board presents a recommendation to council for approval.