Chief urges cooking caution

The Stettler Fire Department crew were en route to a motor vehicle incident east of Stettler on Highway 12

  • Jan. 2, 2014 10:00 a.m.

The Stettler Fire Department crew were en route to a motor vehicle incident east of Stettler on Highway 12, but were cancelled before arriving after RCMP determined the fire department wasn’t needed.

“The roads were extremely slick yesterday,” Fire Chief Mark Dennis said Dec. 23.

A vehicle was off the road, but there weren’t any injuries or fuel leaks. “Sometimes, it’s more dangerous to have that many emergency vehicles on the highway and that can cause problems,” Dennis said.

On Dec. 22, firefighters responded to a call of a house fire in the 4800 block of 53 Street, where a microwave was on fire. There were no injuries reported.

“Message for this time of year is that everyone has Christmas festivities in mind and cooking is the No. 1 cause of fires at this time of year,” Dennis said. “People need to be a little more cautious. They have family and friends and lots of action going on with cooking and they need to be cautious.”

— Lisa Joy