Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Richard Neufeld found Allan Perdomo Lopez guilty of manslaughter last month. (Photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Calgary man found guilty in grandson’s death appeals manslaughter conviction

Allan Perdomo Lopez wants to challenge the nine-year prison sentence he was given last month

A Calgary man found guilty in the death of his five-year-old grandson is appealing his manslaughter conviction.

A notice of appeal filed today on behalf of Allan Perdomo Lopez says he also wants to challenge the nine-year prison sentence he was given last month.

His trial heard he brought his grandson, Emilio Perdomo, from Mexico to Canada for what the boy’s mother thought would be a better life.

But the child died in 2015 of a traumatic brain injury, five months after his arrival in Canada, and had bruises in various stages of healing all over his body.

The notice filed by defence lawyer Darren Mahoney says his client is asking that the conviction be quashed or, failing that, a new trial be heard by a judge alone.

Mahoney is also asking for his client to be released from custody pending his appeal.

The grounds for appeal include an argument that Queen’s Bench Justice Richard Neufeld erred in law when he failed to grant a stay based on the Supreme Court of Canada’s landmark 2016 Jordan decision, which set a 30-month time limit for cases heard in superior courts.

Mahoney also argues that the guilty verdict is unreasonable and not supported, and that a statement from his client and evidence obtained via a warrant should not have been admitted.

The offender’s wife, Carolina Perdomo, was accused initially in Emilio’s death. The Crown stayed a manslaughter charge against her in February.

The Canadian Press

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta RCMP launches online crime reporting across the province

A goal for the Alberta RCMP is to make sure all crime is reported, no matter how small

Looking back – the enduring legacy of Clark Burlingham

Burlingham was the Town’s first recreation director

Alberta reports 257 new cases of COVID-19

Central zone has 157 active cases

New hospice suite officially opened at Points West Stettler on Aug. 7th

“As soon as you walk into it, it’s comfortable which makes it easier for a guest to settle into right away.”

Charges likely in fatal attack at central Alberta medical clinic: RCMP

A vigil was held Monday night to mourn the victim

Vigil held in Maskwacis for 10-year-old boy

Samson Cree Nation comes together for comfort, console each other

Cuts to environmental monitoring budget In Alberta’s oilsands are viewed as reckless

The 2019-2020 budget saw $58 million dollars being dedicated to environmental monitoring

Over half of Americans oppose Trump tariff on Canadian aluminum: survey

The survey was conducted Aug. 7 to 9 among 1,513 Canadians and 1,003 Americans

Police investigating after insults, expletives yelled at federal minister’s staff

A 90-second video circulating on social media appears to have been shot by the person who was yelling

Rent-relief program becomes new front in fight between Liberals, opposition

Opposition trying to draw parallels between decision to have Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. run program and the WE controversy

Ottawa sets minimum unemployment rate at 13.1% for EI calculation

Statistics Canada says the unemployment rate was 10.9 per cent in July

Oilers 50/50 raffle delayed as team resolves errors, offers refunds

Alberta fans who want to void any ticket purchases will have until noon Thursday

Sylvan Lake couple donates $850,000 to AACS

The doantion will be put towards a new X-Ray machine for the facility

Most Read