Blue-green algae has been reported in the waters of Haunted Lake, east of the Town of Alix. Residents living near the shores of the lake, as well as visitors to the lake, are advised to take the following precautions:
• DO NOT DRINK WATER from or allow your pets to drink water from this lake. Boiling contaminated water doesn’t remove toxins from the water. Provide an alternative source of drinking water for pets and livestock.
• DO NOT SWIM OR WADE or allow your pets to swim or wade in this lake.
• AVOID blue-green algae contact along the shoreline.
• PEOPLE MAY wish to limit their consumption of fish from the lake.
Blue-green algae produce a toxin (poison) that can cause serious illness to animals or humans who drink or have skin contact with water containing the toxin.
Although weather and wind conditions can cause algae blooms to move from one location in the lake to another, the toxin can stay in the water even after algae have moved or disappeared. As such, this advisory will remain in effect until further notice.
People who come in contact with or ingest water containing toxic blue-green algae may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea.
Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours and resolve in one to two days. Symptoms in children are often more pronounced because they spend more time in the water and are more likely to accidentally ingest contaminated water. People who consume contaminated water as a primary source for drinking water can develop more serious illnesses, such as liver damage.
For more information, call 1-866-408-LINK (5465).