Blue-green algae are present in the waters of Alix Lake, Alberta Health Services reported this week.
Residents living near the shores of this lake, as well as visitors to the lake, are advised to take the following precautions:
• DO NOT DRINK WATER from or allow your pets to drink water from this lake. Boiling contaminated water does not remove toxins from the water. Provide an alternative source of drinking water for pets and livestock.
• DO NOT SWIM OR WADE or allow your pets to swim or wade in this lake.
• AVOID CONTACT with blue-green algae along the shoreline.
• PEOPLE MAY wish to limit their consumption of fish from this lake.
Blue-green algae produce a toxin (poison) that can cause serious illness to animals or humans who drink or have skin contact with water containing this toxin.
Although weather and wind conditions can cause algae blooms to move from one location in the lake to another, the toxin can stay in the water even after algae have moved or disappeared.
As such, this advisory will remain in effect until further notice.
People who come in contact with or ingest water containing toxic blue-green algae may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea. Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours and resolve in one to two days. Symptoms in children are often more pronounced because they spend more time in the water and are more likely to accidentally ingest contaminated water.
People who consume contaminated water as a primary source for drinking water can develop more serious illnesses, such as liver damage, over time.
If you suspect a problem related to blue-green algae, or if you require further information on blue-green algae, call Health Link Alberta at 1-866-408-LINK (5465).