Bar attacker given a suspended sentence

  • Mar. 16, 2011 6:00 p.m.


Independent Reporter

Jessica Shaw of Big Valley was given a suspended sentence and a conditional discharge after pleading guilty to the charge of assault causing bodily harm and not guilty to the charge of assault with a weapon. On Aug. 1, 2010, the RCMP was called to the Stettler bar The Beat, where Shaw had allegedly punched Kathleen Ross in the face a couple of times and knocked a beer bottle on Ross’ head. Ross had a wound on the top of her head. In court, Shaw apologized and said she regretted having confronted Ross under the influence of alcohol. Judge James Hunter gave Shaw a suspended sentence of 18 months and a conditional discharge. She will have to refrain from alcohol, stay away from places that sell alcohol, have no contact with Kathleen Ross and pay restitution to the amount of $439.05 to Kathleen Ross before April 29. She is also prohibited from owning or using weapons for 10 years.

Samuel Maloney of Stettler pleaded guilty to the charge of driving with a blood alcohol level exceeding .08. On Jan. 29, Maloney’s semi-truck rolled over on Highway 56 two miles south of Stettler. The RCMP was called to the scene and gave Maloney the Breathalyzer test, which he failed. Maloney’s blood alcohol level exceeded .210. Judge Hunter fined Maloney $1,800 and suspended him from driving for a year.

Marilyn Dayman of Stettler pleaded guilty to the charge of driving with a blood alcohol level exceeding .08 on Oct. 16, 2010, when RCMP constable Glen J. Gabruch stopped at Fas Gas to investigate her car that was idling. The car was parked and hung on the cement parking barrier. Dayman failed the Breathalyzer test and her blood alcohol test came back with a .120 result. Judge Hunter ruled in the case for a fine of $1,000 and a driving suspension of one year for Dayman.

Shauna Melnychuk of Big Valley pleaded guilty to the charge of failing to comply with her probation terms. On Nov. 13, 2008, Melnychuk was sentenced in Stettler Provincial Court for theft under $5000. She was placed on probation for two years and ordered to repay $1,725.45 that she took without authorization from employers of Byemoor Hotel between Oct. 21 and Nov. 15, 2007. She was supposed to pay full restitution before Nov. 2010, but failed to do so because she was in prison having received a three-year sentence for causing the death of a Ponoka resident in July 2010 while driving in an impaired state. Judge Hunter gave Melynchuk a standalone restitution order of one day in jail concurrent with her current sentence, which was satisfied by her appearance via CCTV from the Red Deer Remand Centre.