Folks gathered at the Rumsey Drop-in Centre on Sunday to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Two Valley View Schoolhouse. The structure is now the home of the Rumsey Drop-in. Fifteen former students and fi ve past teachers were able to attend the function.
The afternoon was organized by the Two Valley View birthday club, which was formed 100 years ago when the school was built and is still active today. Teachers attending were Stella Holowath, Helen Sandell, Freda Befus, Dorothy Ryning and Lorraine Hoff. Those names are who they were known as when they were teaching.
The Two Valley View school was built in 1910, with classes beginning in January 1911. The school cost $275.50 and was built by Mr. A. Stewart. The two acres of land was bought from Mr. McCartney for $90. Miss L.C.Moore was the fi rst teacher, receiving a salary of $750 a year. The fi rst teachers boarded with families in the area. The teacherage was built in 1938 and in 1947 was moved across the road and closed in June 1955.
The students were then bused into Rumsey for school and later on went to Drumheller or Red Deer for high school. During the operation of the school, there were 37 different teachers, with none staying longer than two years. In total, 131 students were taught from 49 different families over the years.
The last teachers to teach at Two Valley View School were; 1942, Helen Dodds, 1943, Helen Langford, 1944-45, Helen Hogan, 1946 Helen Sandell, 1947 Dorothy Ryning, 1948-49, Eileen Toliver, 1950, Freda Befus, 1951, Kany McVeigh, 1952, Mrs. McLeod, 1953, Stella Holowath, and 1954, Lorraine Hoff.
There are a couple of unanswered questions arising from the visiting that went on at the party. Why was the schoolhouse moved across the road? Which direction did the entry door face? How long did Mrs. McLeod teach prior to Stella Holowath taking over?
Phone 403-368-2132 if you have any of the answers to those questions.