Monthly village meeting tomorrow

Come on out to the Botha Seniors’ Centre tonight to win the jackpot, starting at 7:15 p.m., or at least try to, which is fun.

Come on out to the Botha Seniors’ Centre tonight to win the jackpot, starting at 7:15 p.m., or at least try to, which is fun. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and everyone is welcome.

Then this morning at 10 a.m. take a break and join them at the seniors’ centre for a great visit. Enjoy a cup or two of coffee with your neighbours. Coffee hour happens every Wednesday morning.

Starting at 1 p.m. every Wednesday and Thursday afternoon, join your friends for a game of floor curling, everyone is welcome as always.

Tomorrow evening starting at 7 p.m. come to the village office for the very important monthly meeting. Meetings are held on the fourth Thursday of each month.

This Saturday, July 25, make sure to wish Dan or Marie Barnec a very happy wedding anniversary.

With our pioneers that worked at the grain elevators, another worker we found some information on is Vernon Graff. Vernon was raised on a farm at Biseker, Alberta. On Aug. 1, 1928 Vernon came to Botha to run the Federal Grain Ltd. Elevator and was handed the keys from Mabel Kennedy. In 1929, the crops were not very good due to the amount of hail. The elevator was closed for a while, so Vernon had to work in other elevators. On Aug. 1, 1932 Vernon married Mabel Kennedy. They had and raised three sons. Over the years they lived in Beauvallon, AB. Vernon was selling Watkins products, but then they sold their house and moved back to the Botha area and starting working on the elevators. On Jan. 21, 1987 Mabel passed away, so Vernon moved to Calgary where one of their sons lived.

Another pioneer that worked for the grain elevator business was George Laing. George, Dorothia and Bill Laing, came to Sabine to work in the Alberta Wheat Pool in 1942. The crop was big back then with lots of harvest and elevator work, so George helped out during harvest on his spare time. In 1944, Dorothia was employed by the County of Stettler and taught at Docendo School, except September 1946 to January 1947 due to her having a daughter. During the late 40s and 50s, George worked as a repairman for a local telephone company as well as a Wheat Pool Agent. In 1958, Docendo School was closed, so Dorothia started teaching Grade 1 at Waverly School, in Stettler. Laings lived at Sabine until 1964 when they moved to Stettler. George worked at the elevator at Sabine until 1966 when he was transferred to Botha Wheat Pool.