2001 – 10 YEARS AGO
– According to numbers from the Red Deer and District Real Estate Board, Stettler had the highest percentage of increased home sales for July compared to the previous month, when compared to other Central Alberta communities.
– Alberta’s best breeding male miniature donkey resides right here in Stettler area. Karl and Grace Krautt of Prairie Brae Farms were awarded the Grand Champion Jack award at the 2001 Calgary Stampede for Circle C Bear.
1991 – 20 YEARS AGO
– Stettler motorists are cashing in on a “gas war” that’s given the town the lowest gasoline prices in Alberta. The battle started when several stations dropped the price of regular unleaded gasoline from 48.8 to 43.9 cents/litre.
– Jesse Connon won his first rodeo money at Donalda last week in the mutton bustin’ event. He also received a trophy for “best dressed cowboy” in his group.
1981 – 30 YEARS AGO
– The Bay, under the management of Keith Ryder, will open in Stettler Town Centre shopping mall Aug. 19. Since the incorporation of the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1670, the “Bay” has played a major role in Canadian history.
– A sod-turning ceremony for Donalda and District Arena took place July 28, with MLA Gordon and Mrs. Stromberg, and Mayor and Mrs. Hjorth, participating. Many interested people were present for this milestone in Donalda’s history.
1971 – 40 YEARS AGO
– One of the big attractions of Stettler County Fair will be the Homestead Museum on the grounds. A furnished bedroom, kitchen, dining and living rooms, as well as antique farm machinery and cars, will be on display.
– Led by pitcher Gloria Greenlee, the Stettler Junior Lionettes won the Alberta Junior Ladies Fastball title on home grounds by defeating teams from Edmonton and Lethbridge. All team members are about 16 years of age, and played courageously and skilfully to win.
1961 – 50 YEARS AGO
– The annual Daily Vacation Church School, sponsored by St. Peter Lutheran Church, began with the largest-ever first-day enrolment. There were 101 eager students, 13 leaders and their assistants.
1951 – 60 YEARS AGO
– Another bad hailstorm struck in the Leo district, with some hailstones the size of golf balls. All the windows were broken on the west side of the school.
– The good left arm of Pat Chapman and steady fielding of his teammates gave Stettler All-Stars a 6-3 victory over Ponoka in the opening game of the semifinals for Central Alberta.
1941 – 70 YEARS AGO
– A Maple Leaf gas truck overturned twice in a ditch near Castor, and burst into flames with three violent explosions. Two passengers were seriously burned; the truck and tank were a total loss.
– The Byemoor Vets paid a return visit to their Gadsby Comrades, and brought their rifles with them. They made good use of them, for in the “10-men aside” shoot, they trimmed the Gadsby team by 23 points.
1931 – 80 YEARS AGO
– The first annual flower show of Stettler Horticultural Society will be held in the old Stettler Meat Co. building Aug. 22 and a nominal fee of 10cents will be charged. There will also be a garden competition.
– A delay in repairing two bridges that were washed out by heavy rain is causing a good deal of inconvenience to farmers in the Botha district. The cream truck cannot make its rounds, and there will be a problem for the school van if the repairs aren’t made soon.
1921 – 90 YEARS AGO
– The year 1921 has shown a distinct advance in the development of the summer resort of Buffalo Lake. The majority of summer residents come from various parts of the province, and more cottages are being built this season.
– The terminal elevator at Botha has been purchased by the Brooks Elevator Coy. of Winnipeg, and will be operated by C. T. Johnson. This company has 35 elevators in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
1911 – 100 YEARS AGO
– A comparison with other schools in the province show that Stettler School still maintains the leading position in the percentage of pupils who have passed this year. This record reflects great credit on Principal Nelson and the other teachers.
– Constable Hoe and Fire Chief Pitcairn put the fire engine to test pumping water out of W. B. Gray’s cellar. The engine threw a stream of water a distance of about 100 yards, and kept a constant pressure.