2000 – 10 YEARS AGO
• JIRO Manufacturing in Stettler has been sold by principal owners Rob Grandfield, Michelle Bowles and Darrell Rairdan to Corlac Oilfield Leasing and “it’s business as usual,” said Grandfield.
• An intensive livestock operation with 4,000 feeder hogs to produce 12,000 hogs a year north of Stettler owned by Parkland Pork and operated by Rob Bakkers has raised a stink with neighbours near Boss Hill Road.
1990 – 20 YEARS AGO
• Town of Stettler is bracing itself for the federal government’s new goods and services tax scheduled to become law Jan. 1, 1991. “It’ll be a real headache,” said town secretary Rob Stoutenberg. “The information on what we can and cannot tax is still coming in.”
• Stettler junior high school boys’ volleyball team claimed top spot in the fifth annual Asics Tiger Volleyball Classic in Red Deer as the team edged out Central Junior High School of Red Deer for the big trophy.
1980 – 30 YEARS AGO
• Highlight of nomination day in the Stettler community was the nomination of Waverly School teacher Blanche Derwantz who will challenge seven-year veteran Town of Stettler Mayor Bob Stewart. Derwantz has never held civic office.
• Stettler Legion sponsored Karen Lovell in the 1980 Miss Alberta Rodeo Queen competition at Hobbema Rodeo Finals in Wetaskiwin. Karen and her horse “Socks” very capably won the horsemanship award.
1970 – 40 YEARS AGO
• The community of Stettler paid fond tribute to it pioneer clergyman Rev. Ernest Battle, parish priest of Christ King Catholic Church, who began his ministry in Stettler and Big Valley 46 years ago. Hundreds came out to honour him on the occasion of his retirement and his 75th birthday.
• Susan Sloan, 12 year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robyn Sloan, has been notified by the Western Board of Music that she is the winner of a $25 music bursary donated by CKRD Television as she received a mark of 84 per cent in Grade 6 piano.
1960 – 50 YEARS AGO
• IGA joined the ranks of Stettler’s good grocery store when the official opening was held Sept. 22., The store measures 10,000 square feet and is one of the largest in rural Alberta, with Joe Keller as manager.
• The United Church’s Christian Girls in Training (CGIT) department commenced its fall term with 61 girls and seven leaders signing the register. Miss Evelyn Gerlach gave a talk on her trip to the Alberta Girls Camp council held in Sylvan Lake at Kasota Beach.
1950 – 60 YEARS AGO
• Stettler will have 100 new telephone connections when Alberta Government Telephones workmen complete the underground cable system. With 10 operators employed at the local office, two more will now be added.
• Due to rising costs, the subscription of the Stettler Independent newspaper will be $2.50 per year after Oct. 31. We have maintained the $2 rate as long as we were able to carry on n the face of increased costs.
1940 – 70 YEARS AGO
• The youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Smith had a narrow escape from drowning last week when it wandered into a neighbour’s yard and fell into the fish pond head first. The child was revived by passers-by.
• Joe Barron, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Barron of Erskine graduated from the Royal Canadian Armed Forces wireless school at Montreal and was posted to an airport there as an air operator instructor.
1930 – 80 YEARS AGO
• Some 25 train carloads of eggs have been shipped out of this district during the spring and summer, and the receipts to district egg producers from this source amount to around $55,000. This shows what can be done in a year when grain prices are low.
• Stettler school board has decided to open up another room in the basement of the (unnamed) school for the accommodation of Grade 5 and to use the Grade-5 room on the second floor for high school purposes.
1920 – 90 YEARS AGO
• Mr. Bell of Delburne has bought the quarter section of which Blumenau School is located and Mrs. Bell has taken the position of teacher in the school. This is an arrangement that should lead to more permanence in teaching than is generally found in rural schools.
1910 – 100 YEARS AGO
• Carl Stettler is erecting another hotel in Castor on the corner of Beaver Street and Grand Avenue directly opposite where the National is located. It will be used for offices and will be built of brick veneer.
• For Rent – Four large rooms in Stettler on Main Street, suitable for dwelling and office. $20 per month will lease for a term. – J.W. Stouffer, over Dominion Land Office.