More elevator history from Botha area

Come on to the seniors’ centre tonight at 7:15 p.m. and enjoy a friendly game of Bingo. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Come on to the seniors’ centre tonight at 7:15 p.m. and enjoy a friendly game of Bingo. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Make sure you also come out every Wednesday morning at 10 a.m. and join your friends in a great visit over a cup of coffee or two. They would love to see you.

Then that same day, come out at 1 p.m. and join in a friendly game of floor curling. This activity happens every Wednesday and Thursday afternoon starting at 1 p.m.

Tomorrow, July 9, John Hankins will be celebrating his birthday. So happy birthday John, I hope you have a fantastic one.

Let’s now take another look at the elevators that were in the Botha area. In 1911, Alberta Grain Company started up a second elevator. They changed their name at this time to Alberta Pacific Grain Company. Some of the early agents were AW Bruce, Jack Ferrier and Ben Williams. In later years, Art Rounds, George Blair and Tom Johnson became agents, too. During the years of operation, the elevator had a warehouse in it, where coal was stored and sold to the businessman and farmers around the country. The coal was transported to these elevators by train at this time, which was brought in from Drumheller.

Sometime between 1913-1916, the Independent Elevator Company was built between the Alberta Wheat Pool and the Alberta Grain Company. The first agent at this time was William Fullard (Mrs. McKay’s Brother). He resigned February 1916 and went back to the army, where he passed on. George Robinson took over as agent and ran the Company in 1920, which was the Terminal Grain Company  at that time which was then sold to the Brooks Grain Company. After this time there are no records from 1922 to 1927 as Tom Johnson closed the books. Archie Wallace also was an agent at this company then. In 1927, Jack MacKay became the agent. Jack bought for the Pocock Grain Company for a while and later purchased the Midland Pacific Grain Company. Jack Mackay passed away in 1940. This company, after Jack’s passing, was taken over by Jim Blades and later Tom Johnson, who was the last agent when the elevator was closed and dismantled in 1950.

More about this history coming up in the next column as not much is taking place in our little village over the summer months, so hopefully everyone doesn’t mind reading about our history. Have a fantastic week, everyone.

If you’re on holidays or going soon, hopefully you all have great weather and get out and enjoy yourselves. Have fun.