Friends join Ryder Cooper

Family grateful for outpouring of support

Watching Ryder Cooper run around and play with his friends on Oct. 2, it would be hard to imagine the youngster was in a coma, a month ago.

Watching Ryder Cooper run around and play with his friends on Sunday, Oct. 2, it would be hard to imagine the youngster was just months ago in a coma after a freak dirt biking accident.

Ryder and his family joined other members of the Stettler Motocross Club for the annual wind-up barbecue at the racetrack, which is located on the edge of Stettler near the transfer station. In addition to the barbecue being the annual wind-up for the club, it was also a chance for Ryder and his family to thank everyone in the club, and the community, for their love, prayers and support over the past few months.

It was there, at the track and on a pleasant June afternoon, that Ryder and his family had their lives turned upside down.

Ryder, a new biker, came over a hump and crashed, his mother, Dani Rondeel, recalled. His helmet and gear protected him and he got up and started to ride his bike when another rider unable to see over the dirt hump came over and landed directly on the younger biker.

The force of the impact slammed Ryder and his bike into the dirt, and he lost consciousness. When his parents were unable to wake him, an ambulance was called and Ryder was taken to Stettler’s hospital, then airlifted to the Stollery Hospital.

There, Ryder remained in a coma for two weeks and a day. In addition to the several brain bleeds, Ryder had 10 broken ribs, two broken collarbones, a collapsed lung and other scrapes and bruises. Since he couldn’t breathe on his own, and because his lung had been collapsed, Ryder was on a ventilator.

Throughout the entire ordeal, family, friends and complete strangers supported Ryder and his family.

“We’ve had an overwhelming amount of prayer and thoughts that were sent our way,” Rondeel said. “From people we’ve never met before, never met Ryder. Just people who heard about it. My phone went crazy for days and days after it happened.”

The community rallied around the family, making donations and offering other forms of support. The financial donations helped ease the impact of Ryder’s injury on the family, as the cost of being away from work and at the hospital was financially draining.

Ryder’s doctors expect him to make a full recovery, though he will not be allowed to race on the track until a full year has passed from the accident.

“(The doctors said) so long as he’s careful, wears the right gear and has enough recovery time, Ryder will be fine,” Rondeel said. “The year is more or less to make sure he heals up.”

That her son will get back on his bike and race and wipe out is something that MOM is comfortable with.

“This accident was a one in a million situation,” Rondeel concluded.


Just Posted

Watch: Gravel truck turns into wrong off-ramp at Highway 2 Ponoka

The new Highway 2 and Highway 53 intersection at Ponoka caused some confusion for one driver

Stettler armed robber convicted in court Oct. 12

Jayson Marshall gets over two years in jail

CORRECTED Donalda Creamery plans on tap Oct. 23

Architects to answer public’s questions about plans

WATCH: ASIRT investigating officer-involved shooting during crime spree

Shots fired on two occasions during incidents, one suspect remains in hospital with serious injuries

Drumheller RCMP investigate human remains

Police find human remains in burning vehicle near Morrin

VIDEO: Tragically Hip singer-songwriter Gord Downie dies at 53

Downie had been fighting brain cancer for over a year

Search ramps up for B.C. woman after dog, car found near Ashcroft

Jenny Lynn Larocque’s vehicle and dog were found in Venables Valley, but there is no sign of her

Police officer hit by car, stabbed in Edmonton attack back on job

Const. Mike Chernyk, 48, returned to work Thursday

Berry disappointed: Bear tries to eat fake fruit on woman’s door wreath

A Winnipeg woman has taken her berry-embellished wreath down, after a hungry bear visited her porch

All three victims identified in Fernie arena ammonia leak

Wayne Hornquist and Lloyd Smith were from Fernie and Jason Podloski from Turner Valley, Alta

4 B.C. prisons install body scanners to combat drug smuggling

The scanners are aimed to combat the smuggling of contraband including weapons and drugs

Outspoken Mountie assigned to admin duties for refusing to shave goatee

The 15-year veteran of the force said he believes the RCMP is targeting him

Victim in fatal ammonia leak remembered for his passion and smile

Friends and colleagues remember Lloyd Smith as someone who was always willing to help people

Canadian planet hunter seeking alien life

‘The shifting line of what is crazy’ says Toronto-born astrophysicist

Most Read

Weekly delivery plus unlimited digital access for $50.40 for 52 issues (must live within 95 kilometers of Stettler) Unlimited Digital Access for one year for $50.40 Prefer to have us call you? Click here and we’ll get back to you within one business day.